44 DoW Day 4: Picture of Nature (water element)

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Wintertime in Crested Butte, CO


I'm a lucky girl.  I was born and raised in one of the most beautiful and magical states in the United States (at least, in my honest opinion ^_^  But hey, I'm biased) and I've gotten to be back for over a year now after so many years away.  One of the things I love about my state is the magic that comes with each individual season.  As much as I loved Texas (and equally hated Oklahoma), one thing I missed about living there was getting to have all four seasons.  Texas (and Oklahoma, admittedly) had beautiful springtimes and hot summers, but the beauty of autumn and winter was pretty much nonexistant.  The leaves don't generally turn until mid- to late-November and snow is rare.

Out of all my friends, I'm the weird one:  I LOVE snow!  I love watching it fall, I love seeing it sparkle like diamonds in the sunlight.  Seriously, I absolutely LOVE winter!  I love all the seasons.  I think being Pagan has enabled me even more to see the magic in all the seasons.  I know some people have their favorite season(s) and the ones that they just flat-out don't like.  But I can't help myself.  Spring shows the magic of budding life, Summer for me is the halfway point between the blooming life of Spring versus the joy of the harvest.  Autumn shows that even death has a beauty and joy to it as the leaves turn their passionate colors of gold and red.  And then Winter, for me, is the cozy, chilly time where the world around me is quiet, introspective, and at peace.

All that being said, I think the first thing that comes to mind whenever one mentions the element of Water is lakes, rivers, and oceans.  But right now in Wintertime (at least for those of us on the Northern Hemisphere LoL), many of us find ourselves surrounded by the element of Water and perhaps it offers us lessons that we don't normally consider from Water in that particular state.

Water is so versatile. First there's the fact that it's the ultimate life-giver.  Naturally, most of us have learned that our bodies are made up of 70% of water and so is our planet.  We also know that, without water, life would never have reached the levels that it has.  It nourishes the tiniest of organisms on up to the largest.

Then there are the many forms that we see water.  From being a tangible pool of liquid such as the ocean to vaporous forms like fog and clouds, and then individual drops of rain that collect together again in bodies of water.  Then there is water in its frozen form.  Frost patterns and snowflakes are like the intricate artwork of the gods.

My point, basically, is that water teaches us to be flexible and determined.  Adaptable, even.  Given enough time, water cuts through even the hardest rock and it does so not by being necessarily the toughest thing out there.  Water can teach us to go with the flow of life rather than allowing ourselves to become stagnant, even in wintertime when the water is frozen.  That just shows us that it's ok to take rest in this darker time of the year as we wait for the return of the sun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment